Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy, Tom Percival "So you won't keep anything from me again?"
He put his hand to his chest. "Cross my heart and hope to die."
"Okay then. Though you don't actually have a heart," she said.
"I know."
"And technically, you've already died."
"I know that too."
"Just so we're clear."

When Stephanie Edgley’s Uncle Gordon – a writer of horror novels – passes away, she meets his one-time friend Skulduggery Pleasant…who just happens to be a skeleton wizard-detective, that believes he is invincible and has the world’s biggest ego (not that he believes that part). He drags her into a world of magic and chaos, introducing her to a whole range of characters: Tanith Low, a stunningly pretty and deadly master swordswoman, Ghastly Bespoke, an amazing tailor who is also a boxer, China Sorrows, who is not only lovely but collects things with magical properties (usually by corrupt and illegal means) and more. Together, Skulduggery and Stephanie explore the mysterious circumstances around her Uncle’s death, meeting danger at every turn. And as this world tightens its clutches around her, Stephanie starts to believe that though her Uncle’s novels were horror, they were definitely not fiction.

Lightened up by the funny and sarcastic lines from Skulduggery (like, "For a guy with no internal organs, you've got quite the ego." "And for a girl who can't stand up without falling over, you're quite the critic." "My leg will be fine." "And my ego will flourish. What a pair we are."), this is a book that really makes you consider that if these are the good guys, then how bad are the bad guys?!

(This has to be one of those books that needs the words, “BEST BOOK EVER” written on the front cover)